Monday, April 7, 2014

Smoked Whitefish Cakes

This week at work, Matthew made whitefish cakes for the hot bar menu. They were REALLY GOOD, but I only got a bite to taste test, and then kept forgetting to buy some...and then they were gone. So tonight we made some for dinner!


I haven't got a clue how Matthew made the ones at The a Grain Train, 'cause I was furiously baking at the time, so I just made these up. Here's how.


Smoked Whitefish Cakes
6 lbs potatoes (we used yellow potatoes)
1/4 c. butter
2 lbs smoked whitefish
1 bunch green onions
4 eggs
3 handfuls breadcrumbs
Salt to taste
Shredded cheddar
Sour cream, mayo, or sauce of your choice for serving (I liked the mayo)

Scrub the potatoes and cut into chunks and boil for 15-20 minutes until mashable. Mash 'em up with the butter.

While the potatoes are boiling, slice up the tops of the green onions, flake up the whitefish (careful of those bones!!), and mix well with the breadcrumbs and eggs.

Combine the smashed potatoes with the fish mixture. Smash it all together good. Taste test, and add salt if necessary. I thought the smoked fish would be salty enough, but it wasn't, and I added a bit more than half a teaspoon.

Line two half-sheet pans with parchment and portion out the mixture with a 4 oz. (1/2 c.) scoop, 12 per pan. Flatten the scooped balls slightly to an even-ish thickness.

Top the cakes with shredded cheese if you like (we cheesed half of 'em. I liked the cheese-topped ones better.) Bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes.

The fish cakes at the Grain Train were served with a red pepper aioli, but I didn't feel like messing with sauce. So we tried mayo and sour cream. Both were good, but the slight vinegary sweetness of the mayonnaise was especially nice, so I'll probably use that again. (That's mayo from the Magic Mayonnaise recipe, using 3 egg yolks in place of the 1 whole egg and 1 yolk. Turns out WAY better...and way thicker.)

I can't say that the meal was a resounding success, as Amber doesn't like fish and Bobby, who LOVES smoked whitefish mash, for whatever reason did not care for the cakes. But Davey and Emily and I liked them a lot, so I figured I'd share.

Anybody have any sauce ideas that sound good to go with these?


- Stell

No comments:

Post a Comment