Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Even Bigger

It grows!


I'd estimate it to be about 4' wide from flat side to flat side, so there's definitely palpable progress!

I got bored with the fabrics I had in my stash, so I was naughty and went fabric shopping. I'm glad I did, though, because the new fabric choices got me through making that last round of flowers. I think I'll be running out of that particular yellow that I've been bordering with soon, though. So I'll have to transition to a different print. A different color would be an option, as well, but I don't know how I feel about that yet. Opinions?

Tom came over today to work on getting the little kiln in my basement vented properly. He says it's not a big job, but it sure seems complicated to me. Lots of wiring and riveting and drilling and cutting. Once it's done, I will no longer have any excuses to put off test firing it. I'm still scared, though!
In other pottery news, I have to go back to the Arts Center for the Thursday night class (which I am not in) because when we unloaded the kiln at class last night, my stuff took up most of a table. I got everything washed, got tomato stamps painted, and then got all the wax resist put on where it was needed, and by then it was nearly an hour past when class ended. So NOTHING actually got glazed. But Jim said that's ok, because his Thursday class hasn't glazed anything yet, so it will be good to have a couple people there who know what they're doing.

I also went to my doctor today to have an osteopathic manipulation done, because I've been having a lot of back pain, especially sciatica-type pain shooting through my hips. I forgot that when you get stuff like that done, you usually do NOT feel great right afterwards. Maaaaan, if I thought I hurt before.... I don't know what happened, but all the body pain that has somehow been keeping itself in check just decided to club me into submission. My everything hurts. Every joint. Most muscles. My head. My teeth. Just....owwwww. Probably a good sign that I need to stop making excuses and get back on my diet.

Speaking of diet, after making those smoked whitefish cakes, I started toying with the idea of making up various AIP-compliant meat-and-veggie "meal cakes" as ready meals while on my diet. My first experiment was a Cinnamon Lamb cake made with sweet potatoes, zucchini, lamb, cinnamon, onion, and garlic. I liked it a lot, however the children did not. More for me! I'll post the recipe once I play with it more - I thought it needed more zucchini, and I think I need to play with baking times and temps some, because they turned out a bit floppy and spongy. But I have a lot of different ideas, using different meat-root-green veg combos. It'll be neat to see what works and what doesn't.

- Stell

No comments:

Post a Comment