Friday, April 18, 2014

Smoked Fish 'n Kale Cakes (AIP-Compliant)




Yeah. Still not pretty. But they taste good, are easy to make, and you don't have to cook anything else to get a complete meal! Can't beat that, for sure.

On to the recipe!


3 lbs. jersey sweet potatoes (the white ones)
1 lb. smoked fish (I used trout this time) or otherwise cooked fish
1 bunch kale, sliced as finely as you can possibly manage
4 green onions, sliced finely
salt, parsley, and dill to taste

Peel, cut, and boil the sweet potatoes - about 15 minutes should do it. When they're done, drain them and set aside to steam off for a few minutes.

While the sweet potatoes cook, get out a big bowl. Pull all the fish off of the bones (be EXTRA diligent about getting the bones out!) and put it in the bowl, along with the onions, kale, salt, and herbs.

Smash up the sweet potatoes and add to the big bowl with the fish and kale. Squish it all together. You may need to use your hand to squish it up into a relatively evenly distributed mixture.

Heat oven to 375° F. Line two half-sheet baking pans with parchment and scoop out well-packed balls of mixture with a 4 oz. scoop. (I got mine at Gordon's Food Service. The pans, too, for that matter.) Flatten the balls slightly into patties, about 1/2"-5/8" thick.

Bake for 30 minutes. I rotate my pans in the oven about halfway through.

Once they're done, you can either serve them immediately, or cool and freeze them for ready meals.

Basically, I decided to explore this concept because I hate coming up with complete meals. Especially when on my Paleo Autoimmune Protocol diet. So I thought - if I could make a patty, kind of like a burger or a crab cake, that was AIP compliant and contained root veggies, green veggies, and meat all in one, that would be the ultimate convenience!

This recipe is #2 in the AIP Ready Meals series. More to come!

- Stell

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stell. This recipe looks delicious! I host a weekly Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable through my blog, and I would love it if you linked up this recipe. You just click the blue button at the bottom of the post to add your recipe, and readers will be directed back to your blog to read it: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2014/09/17/paleo-aip-recipe-roundtable-43/

    ReplyDelete