Thursday, April 10, 2014

Garden Progress

Well, the snow and ice have been steadily melting, as temps are staying above freezing fairly often.





Bulbs are just starting to come up, and those weeds that look like violet leaves are all going full-force already.





Looks like I should be able to go out and dig the beds sometime very soon. Better go buy a garden fork. That was my big mistake last year - I didn't loosen everything up really well, and we got really crappy root crops.





I'm still waiting for this pile to go away, because I'm thinking that a couple "lasagna garden" no-dig beds might be acceptable there. And less mowing. I checked city ordinances, and the only thing they prohibit growing on the easement area is nuisance trees. I'm responsible for keeping it mowed, which rarely happens, so more food and flowers growing would be a huge improvement.
I'm also waiting for the pile of snow to melt down from the upper driveway so I can move the big van. I can get it *in* the driveway, but I'd have to move it again later to let anyone else get in, and I'd rather just do it all at once. Monday might work for that.





The growing spaces up at the back of the house are all uncovered. Again, just a bit of ice to go and I can start cleaning up that area and get stuff planted.
I still need to make seed mats and build the structure for the bean house.
I *think* I have a plan for my keyhole garden beds....but it's going to require me learning to use a circular saw and locating a power drill to do. So that'll be coming up. If all goes according to plan, they'll be walled with strawberries! Lots of 2x4s and chicken wire and hinges! (I want to be able to disassemble and move them if necessary.)

I got the last of my seeds ordered last night, and Emily and I bought some rubber stamps to use in making our plant marker stakes. Out of clay, of course. Holy cats, I'll be hand-building something instead of throwing on the wheel!!

So that's that for this week! Hopefully I'll have it all pretty by next week!
- Stell

2 comments:

  1. I just feel cold looking at those pics. I hope some warmer weather comes and stays your way soon. If it had not warmed up here I think I would have gone crazy already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's warmed up quite nicely! We're just waiting for everything to melt all the way, that's all! We've had nice sunny days in the high 40s and into the 50s, and the sun has felt so good that I can go without a sweater a lot of the time. It sounds like rain tonight, though. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the ice was gone by morning.

    ReplyDelete