Sunday, March 2, 2014

Mess Up the Pottery Day

Oh boy! Today is Mess Up the Pottery Day!! Woo hoo!
SO MANY problems with not being able to get the clay *quite* centered, and then LOTS of problems caused by letting things get too dry. Because, you know, I forgot about them. I blame this.



It's all Miyazaki's fault. Very distracting. There were also cat problems. I'd pull some handles, leave them on the board on the table to set up so I can attach them to mugs and bacon cookers....and then I'd come back to find CAT TOE PRINTS in the middle of a handle. Not pleased.

But even with all that, I did manage to make a couple things I saw in people's etsy shops.


The mug-looking doohickey on the left is a microwave bacon cooker. You drape the slices of bacon over the rim of the mug bit, and then when you microwave it the grease runs down into the inside of the cup and the saucer bit. Then you can pick it up by the handle and the grease drains out of the cup through the hole poked in the bottom of the cup when you pour. I thought it was pretty nifty, and that the boys might like it.
Then the thingy on the right is a microwave egg poacher - basically a small lidded pot with a couple holes punched in the lid for steam vents. This was my first try making a pot with a gallery (lid rest ledge) and lid. I screwed up one of the lids I tried to make, and I also didn't make the vent holes very symmetrical. Oh well - again, it's for my boys, so I don't think they'll mind.


I also threw a couple plates yesterday (and killed one of them today while trying to cut it off of the bat) and put some handles on those BIG mugs I was working on. I'm pleased with how they look!

And here's where I sit now. I'm waiting for these last two pulled handles to set up enough to attach them to the last mug and bacon cooker. Hopefully the pieces won't have dried out too far before they're ready!

- Stell

No comments:

Post a Comment