Saturday, March 29, 2014

Aaaaand Breathe!

Finally, a day to just sit and chill!

My week has been full of work training and utter exhaustion, plus sick children and appointments.

Then spring break started yesterday, with me up at 7 AM to get the baking and cooking going for Emily's lunchtime birthday party. I got it all done JUST in time....to dash off to take Davey & Bub to my boss's son's birthday party! By the time boys were retrieved and teenagers went home, I was exhausted again.

I did manage to fit in a quick run to the Arts Center to see how my last batch of glazed ware turned out. I had a couple failures - that darn Stone White glaze!! - and plenty of success. Jim likes us to leave our stuff there until everyone in our class has seen it, but I couldn't help myself and brought this mug home with me.


It's very big and I LOVE IT. I'll take it with me for class, but that won't be 'till after Spring Break. I had a couple bowls and big mugs that I made for Tom in this glaze batch, too, and they turned out beautifully. Pictures later, once I have them home in natural light. That basement studio is AWFUL for photos.

Then today I took the opportunity, in between reassuring sick children that they will not die and they need to go sleep, to get some business cards printed. I had to take a picture especially for it, as I didn't have any that would work well. With the help of the free Snapseed photo editing app on my phone, it turned out way better than I had anticipated.


I went with Vistaprint for the cards - fast, cheap, and easy!

So, speaking of birthdays....my children have this spectacularly artistic soon-to-be Uncle that likes to draw people things for their birthday. Especially Miss Emily, as the two of them have a really fun connection with their art and lots of other things that they like.
Well, this year, Emily got to wake up to this on her Facebook wall.


Nick Fields works mainly in Copic marker and colored pencil, and he said he learned a few new techniques while working on this piece, so I'm excited to see the original! For those not up on their anime, this is a scene from the Miyazaki film My Neighbor Totoro, only with my Miss Emily standing in Satsuki and Mai's place. It's so perfect!!!

I've been participating in a weekly "Grow Along" on my friends Sarah and Nate's blog The Dusty Rose Micro-Farm and it's been going....not so well. Each week, they have things coming up outside, and seedlings to repot, and all sorts of exciting stuff.
I have this.


For about an afternoon, the tote box that I was using to haul weeds to the compost heap that got snowed into the garden in the fall became visible....but then it snowed again. On the bright side, I did get most of my seeds ordered, and they came, so now I can make my custom seed mats with built-in newspaper mulch. Should be fun. It'll be nice to just dig up the bed really good, roll out the 4 foot square mat, toss some dirt over it, and be DONE. Bam. Planted.

But before I do that...I'm gonna relax some more.

- Stell

No comments:

Post a Comment