Friday, February 7, 2014

Short Update

So....I've been depressed most of the last year. It happens.

I started following the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol diet in July to try to get my unexplainable body pain under control. It works. So far I know that eggs, tomatoes, and potatoes cause me pain, and I have problems with wheat and milk to some degree as well. My weight dropped to 123 lbs when I was following the diet and feeling well, then jumped right up to 145 once I succumbed to the depression and desire for holiday / comfort / sugary foods. The awful pain came back, too. Live and learn. The pain is gone and I'm back down to 130. It's a start.

I started learning how to make pottery in the fall. It makes me happy when it works. I gave a piece of pottery to most of my friends and family for Christmas. I'm in the process of making a set of mugs as a gift for a local restaurant. It's slow going because I chose crappy clay and have to test out how the glazes interact with it. I also have my own potter's wheel at home. It's a good thing.


I started taking the recommended supplements from the book The Mood Cure. It's only been a little over a week and I'm feeling much better. I actually prefer living to not living. I don't have to bargain myself out of bed in the morning. I cook and eat food without hating it. And most importantly, I've found the strength to walk away from a friendship that has been methodically ripping me apart from the inside out for four years. It's a huge step. It was time. I'm walking on.

I deactivated my Facebook account. Too much of my time was taken up by it, and I had far too many mutual friends with Preston - the aforementioned friend - to feel safe there. I missed being able to crow and whine to a large audience for three days.....and then I just didn't. I don't think about it, and I don't miss it. I do miss writing about what I'm working on, though, so that's why I'm reviving this pitiful corner of the internet.

Lastly, I've been spending most of my thinking time planning out my Hole in the Ground - a dugout greenhouse I intend to live and grow in when I start my farm sometime down the road. Plans make me feel calm and strong. Greenhouses make me warm and content. The smell of dirt reminds me of love and childhood. It will be good.

Ok, so this wasn't exactly short.
Next time, I hope I have something interesting and worthwhile to share.

7 comments:

  1. *hugs* Hope it's not too invasive for me to leave a comment, but so glad to hear that you're finding ways to make yourself feel a little bit better. Always love getting to see what you're working on, so I came by to add you properly to my blog reader. Hoping you have a renewing spring full of energy and fulfilling plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! No, definitely not too invasive. This is pretty much the only avenue left for broadcast communication for me. Now I just have to make myself use it!
      I'm finding I miss Facebook most when I'm feeling complain-y. It's a good thing to not have such an immediate audience for my every whine! I'll try to get a post up soon.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should probably mention - for those who are the mutual friends mentioned above, I don't mind having you here or commenting. It was a Facebook specific problem. So if anyone asks about me, go ahead and direct them here. I don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to come live in your earthy dugout greenhouse house. Or maybe I should make one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult to set it up so there's a little living / sleeping space on one end, a closed cellar at the other end, and then rig up a water runoff collection system into black barrels that will absorb heat. And a woodstove in the center. I've got it all planned! Just need a spot to dig a big hole!

      Delete
  5. Missed all your awesome projects. Didn't know why you had left Facebook, or how painful it was for you. Sorry to hear about all of that...

    Glad you're feeling better these days. The dugout sounds amazing - my Sarmatian brothers and I are looking into doing a similar sort of debris hut-style temporary dwelling for meditative purposes.

    ReplyDelete